Re: Thoughts on Voiding Invoices

Hello All...

I have been semi-following this list and please parton me for jumping into
a discussion and perhaps going off the tangent.

I remember I once heard "there is a finished thesis and there is a good
thesis" regarding finishing grad school and getting off the $0.99 mac &
cheese diet. You know I am a fifth year SL business user and I have a love
hate relationship with it. SL sometimes just really get me to think about
cheating with commercial accounting software and taking a shot of Cuervo.

So if I must finish SL as a thesis I can think of two things that would
need to be done:-

1) Get more than just one person to architect, develop, and test the
project as two or more brains are better than one.
2) Fix the existing major issues that people are afraid to ask.

This first item I am very glad to have seen it happened and I have nothing
but good wishes for LSMB's future. The reality is I wish I could
contribute to it if could commit the time for sure.

Now for the second item, I am going to pick on SL's COGS issues as that is
such a big issue for business that sells goods. Just imagine if a business
has several million dollars of sales per year (consider by most as a small
business) then it would pretty much render SL usless for that business. I
have had the paid SL manual and I could never find anything in it that
warned me how not to screw up COGS. I have posted questions on the SL list
but I have never gotten a useful response other than your sheet balance
then everything must be good. Further, I also have searched the archived
list and I could just remember seeing the subject "COGS SOB a real pain in
the $&%#@" by Roy Someone (for which I concur). Consequently, I have drawn
the conclusion that it is either no one knows anything about SL's COGS or
everyone on the SL list is afraid to talk about it (I must also state that
we did not repost at the time the COGS problem was discovered).

Taking SL and adding bells and whistles to it will turn heads but
providing solutions to major issues will for sure get LSMB some happy
customers. It worries me to hear about all the new changes like applying
relational database theories to SL's schema and etc. Man, I am still
running 2.4.11 because I am afraid to upgrade to 2.6 and my SL is a
business critical system that has to constantly bill to surive. What if
LSMB has fixed the COGS and FIFO issues with SL am I going to be too
scared to migrate because I know it has done some major schema changes?
Oh, boy!

I fully understand at some point in the future LSMB will no longer
backward support SL but I hope that some point will be at least a year or
ten from now. Lastly, regarding applying referential integrity constraints
to SL's schema and using stored procedure it is probably good to consider
their impacts on its capabilities to cross database platforms and tools (I
know of flat tables financial database app. that supports billion dollor
companies because it served its purpose. I couldn't believe it at first,
and I laughed at it for using unique index and not null constraint to
enforce primary key).

This email has been therapeutic for me after years of using SL...peace!

Tim