Re: Thoughts on Voiding Invoices

On 9/24/06, Joshua D. Drake <..hidden..> wrote:

>>   Long-term, we probably want to have
>> additional logic that prevents multiple returns of the same item, but
>> baby steps are best.
> As I noted earlier today at Discussion Forums: Help, Assemblies
> http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1573121&forum_id=606441
> what is the scope of LedgerSMB? How far past general accounting and into
> operational support of manufacturing might you want it to go? How about
> defining scope and a roadmap for possible extension?

Except for a basic support for BOM I think we should stay with general
accounting for now. We have enough to worry about.

Well, getting into new markets is difficult.  And a lot of effort can
be wasted if problems are not solved in ways that work with real-world
workflows.

The best solution is to recruit manufacturers to add the necessary
features or otherwise sponsor the features an work with others to make
this happen.  This is an area where sponsoring features either by
having in-house work done or by paying other developers will conribute
to a better product than our best guess based on limited contact.

I am all for manufacturing support, but I think that the core team is
not in a position to make sure that the problems are well enough
understood to make it work nor will we have the time while we are
trying to make this software go from "the best open source accounting
app" to "the best accounting app."

Note that this model is largely driving the POS work forward.