Re: where to start -- what Linux distro?

| From: Stroller <..hidden..>

| It's interesting you should ask this. What distro do you use at the
| moment?
|
| The reason I make that reply is that I'd imagine most folks would
| just use the distro they're most comfortable with.
|
| If you're new to Linux

I'm sorry that my message wasn't clearer.

I've used Linux for about a dozen years (and UNIX-like systems for
over thirty).  But not for the things that LegerSMB does or needs
(http serving, PostreSQL).

- I'd prefer a distro with long term support which seems to mean
  CentOS 5.1 or Ubuntu 8.04 LTS or some Debian.

- I'd like to start with a distro that isn't too far behind the times
  so that I have a higher chance of going a long time without needing
  to upgrade.  Ubuntu 8.04 beats CentOS5.1 on this count.

- PostgreSQL 8.3 seems to be the key issue:
  + it surely is the future
  + there are hints that it may not be the present
  + CentOS5.1 dictates PostgreSQL 8.1.  I would guess that that won't
    change in the CentOS5.x series.
  + Ubuntu 8.04 dictates PostreSQL 8.3

  Is LedgerSMB ready for PostgreSQL 8.3 now?
  Dare I be stuck with PostgreSQL 8.1 for the long term?

- I also suspect that using a distro that developers use
  increases the chance that things will Just Work

- I'm more comfortable with CentOS than Ubuntu.  But this isn't as
  important as the other issues.

Why did I post this to the developers' list?  Because I was responding to
a posting on this list about PostgreSQL 8.3 support.