Re: where to start -- what Linux distro?

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 12:15 AM, D. Hugh Redelmeier <..hidden..> wrote:
> | From: Stroller <..hidden..>
>
> | It's interesting you should ask this. What distro do you use at the
> | moment?
> |
> | The reason I make that reply is that I'd imagine most folks would
> | just use the distro they're most comfortable with.
> |
> | If you're new to Linux
>
> I'm sorry that my message wasn't clearer.
>
> I've used Linux for about a dozen years (and UNIX-like systems for
> over thirty).  But not for the things that LegerSMB does or needs
> (http serving, PostreSQL).
>
> - I'd prefer a distro with long term support which seems to mean
>  CentOS 5.1 or Ubuntu 8.04 LTS or some Debian.
>
> - I'd like to start with a distro that isn't too far behind the times
>  so that I have a higher chance of going a long time without needing
>  to upgrade.  Ubuntu 8.04 beats CentOS5.1 on this count.
>
> - PostgreSQL 8.3 seems to be the key issue:
>  + it surely is the future
>  + there are hints that it may not be the present
>  + CentOS5.1 dictates PostgreSQL 8.1.  I would guess that that won't
>    change in the CentOS5.x series.
>  + Ubuntu 8.04 dictates PostreSQL 8.3
>
>  Is LedgerSMB ready for PostgreSQL 8.3 now?

Current versions appear to work with 8.3 as far as we know (i.e. we
have fixed all known issues).

>  Dare I be stuck with PostgreSQL 8.1 for the long term?

There is some thinking that we may want to require 8.3 or above for
1.4 and above.  This has not been fully decided, but it would greatly
simplify our development.

> - I also suspect that using a distro that developers use
>  increases the chance that things will Just Work
>
> - I'm more comfortable with CentOS than Ubuntu.  But this isn't as
>  important as the other issues.
>
> Why did I post this to the developers' list?  Because I was responding to
> a posting on this list about PostgreSQL 8.3 support.

In general, the more technical posts are appropriate for -devel at the
moment.  This is fine.