Re: where to start -- what Linux distro? (fwd)

| From: Gerd Nennemann <..hidden..>

Thanks for your long and interesting reply.

| Definitely, this won't be the way of least resistance !

I didn't want to hear that :-(

|  If you
| only depend on what's already prepared as a rpm package on the
| distribution CD-ROM, you might be on the wrong way. It seems to be
| easier to just click on a checkbox and let the distribution's installer
| do all the work, but sooner or later you will have to learn how to
| manually install or update various things.

The greatest problems occur when the distro does supply something but
it isn't the version that you must have.  PostgreSQL might be such a
thing.

That's actually a good reason not to include LedgerSMB in a distro
now, while it is undergoing rapid developement.

| I wouldn't always choose the latest version. Every major change of
| version number could bring new bugs.

True.  But I'm a sucker for the new and fresh.  At least at the time
of installation.  Then I sit on it for to long (I just turned off a
machine running Red Hat Linux 7.0).

| After all the installation was complete, It took me several weeks
| practising with LedgerSMB using a dummy Test-Company. It took another
| week to set up the UNIX ODBC interface so I could use 3rd party DB admin
| and reporting software in order to investigate LedgerSMB's poorly
| documented database.

Can you point to a HowTo about this?  If not, consider writing one
yourself.

| The 1st time I saw the LedgerSMB userinterface I was quite disappointed.
| No colours, no dropdown lists, no assistants, no help, no completion,

I worry that a browser isn't going to be responsive enough for
efficient data-entry.