Re: Pg removal of implicit type casts in 8.3

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2008 8:33 AM, Joshua D. Drake <..hidden..> wrote:
> >
> > David A. Bandel wrote:
> > > Folks,
> > >
> > > Haven't had much time to follow the list lately, but is there a fix
> > > for Pg's removal of implicit type casts in 8.3?
> >  After fixing the
> > > login issue (trivial), I'm now bumping into this adding parts/services
> > > and expect to see it in other modules.
> > >
> > > Can provide the specific error, but anyone who's upgraded to 8.3
> > > should be seeing this.  It's an integer = text (typecast) error.
> >
> > With respect there is a reason that 8.3 isn't considered supported yet.
> > You should be running 8.2.6.

I have some problems with your statement:

1.  Quote from the LedgerSMB site (download page):

System requirements

To install and run LedgerSMB you need the following:

    * Perl 5.8
    * PostgreSQL 8.x (8.1 recommended)
    * A CGI-enabled web server (like Apache)

There is _nothing_ that suggests 8.3 isn't supported or won't work.
In fact, it looks like 8.1, not 8.2.6 is recommended. ????

2.  The PostgreSQL home page, by having a very prominent link to 8.3
(but only small links to 8.2 and lower) is obviously pushing 8.3 and
so will be the most likely to be installed.  They call it stable.

3.  During a recent upgrade of my Debian testing (not unstable, but
testing) systems, I got this note:

 The PostgreSQL version 8.2 is obsolete, but the server
 or client packages are still installed. Please install the latest packages
 (postgresql-8.3 and postgresql-client-8.3) and upgrade the
 existing 8.2 clusters with pg_upgradecluster (see manpage).
 Please be aware that the installation of postgresql-8.2 will
 automatically create a default cluster 8.3/main. If you want to upgrade
 the 8.2/main cluster, you need to remove the already existing 8.3
 cluster (pg_dropcluster --stop 8.3 main, see manpage for
 details).
 The old server and client packages are no longer supported. After the
 existing clusters are upgraded, the postgresql-8.2 and
 postgresql-client-8.2 packages should be removed.
 Please see /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.Debian.gz for details.

So as far as at least one distro is concerned, 8.2 is obsolete and
unsupported, or so they say.  I suspect all Debian based distros will
do/have done the same, since a number are based on testing and/or
unstable.

Is it possible to install implicit type casts?  That might be the
quickest and easiest thing for the short term.

> And if you want to try PostgreSQL 8.3 with LSMB experimentally (for the
> purpose of providing bug reports, etc), you want to be running the
> validation tarball of 1.2.13.

I would be more than happy to do this if someone would tell me where to get it.

Ciao,

David A. Bandel
 - Nemesis Air Racing Team motto