where to start -- what Linux distro?

I would like to try LedgerSMB for, well, a small business.

I don't know what the line of least resistance is (I don't want to employ
my usual tactic: looking for the line of greatest resistance).

I would welcome advice.

Linux distros that seem plausible:
- CentOS 5.1
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Fedora 9 (my desktop, but probably too short-lived)
- some level of straight Debian

I'm trying to figure out PostgreSQL versions as a factor in the choice

- Centos 5.1 has 8.1.11
- Ubuntu 8.04 LTS has 8.3.1
- Fedora 9 has 8.3.1
- Debian seems to be heading towards 8.3 (based on something said on
  this list)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

| Subject: Re: [Ledger-smb-devel] Pg removal of implicit type casts in 8.3

| Nobody should be running LSMB on 8.3.0. Once 8.3.1 comes out, hopefully
| LSMB wil have worked out its kinks enough as well to be supported fully.

Is this the case?

PostgreSQL seems to have come out 2008-03-17.

I don't see any release of LSMB since 1.2.13, which didn't promise that
it would work with PostgreSQL 8.3.

Is it felt that 1.2.13 did turn out to actually work well with 8.3?

My current theory/impression:

CentOS 5.1 + LSMB is the easiest because PostgreSQL 8.1 is supported
by LSMB 1.2.13.  Another hint is that .rpms of LSMB seem to be
available.

I'm kind of tempted by Ubuntu 8.04 LTS since it has newer shiny things
that CentOS 5.1.  I suspect that Ubuntu 8.04 better supports the
hardware that I'm intending to use.

The Ubuntu 8.04's Synaptic tells me that sql-ledger is available.  I know
that I don't want that.  But I wish it offered LedgerSMB.

I'm a little disapointed if LSMB drives my distro decision, but I
understand how that can happen.

I've been putting off deploying hoping things would become easier.

I haven't even looked at how easy it is to get the required Perl
modules that are missing from each distro.  Hints are welcome.

PS: Thanks for all your work on what looks to be a very useful project.