Re: Pg removal of implicit type casts in 8.3

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 13:24:07 -0500
"David A. Bandel" <..hidden..> wrote:

> >  I happen to be a part of "They". I didn't say anything about
> > stable, I said supported. There is a difference :) 8.3 breaks
> > stuff, lots of it. It breaks it because it changes the way two very
> > widely used items does things, Tsearch and casts.
>
> Good to know.  But now cast aside all your preconceptions (or grab
> your wife/girlfriend/significant other) and ask them to if they came
> to this page, which version would they d/l and why?

Well in my world, they would download 8.2.6 because they wouldn't do it
without asking me first. Stepping out of my world I still wouldn't use
8.3.0.

Here is the deal, you are using this software for your MONEY. Outside
of your relationship with your God (if you have one) and your
(wife/girlfriend/significant other), that is (opinions vary) pretty much
a1, #1.

Why in the world would you ever put your money on *any* .0 release of a
product? Which lends me to the "exact" same reason I don't run testing
on any production machine. It isn't even .0 yet.

> I do find it odd something this important isn't mentioned right there.
>  This is kinda major.

I will give you the community response :).

It is in the release notes.

> OK, but see other Debian related post below.  And testing is pretty
> close to stable -- unstable is not.  My command of the English

But it isn't stable. You just said so yourself :).

If you want to run testing or unstable, cool. I am glad you are willing
to walk that ledge. It will hopefully make for a better product.

However my argument will remain and continue to be present.

Nobody should be running LSMB on 8.3.0. Once 8.3.1 comes out, hopefully
LSMB wil have worked out its kinks enough as well to be supported fully.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
PostgreSQL SPI Liaison | SPI Director |  PostgreSQL political pundit