Re: Pg removal of implicit type casts in 8.3

David A. Bandel wrote:
Can provide the specific error, but anyone who's upgraded to 8.3
should be seeing this.  It's an integer = text (typecast) error.
With respect there is a reason that 8.3 isn't considered supported yet.
You should be running 8.2.6.

I have some problems with your statement:

1.  Quote from the LedgerSMB site (download page):

System requirements

To install and run LedgerSMB you need the following:

    * Perl 5.8
    * PostgreSQL 8.x (8.1 recommended)
    * A CGI-enabled web server (like Apache)

There is _nothing_ that suggests 8.3 isn't supported or won't work.
In fact, it looks like 8.1, not 8.2.6 is recommended. ????

Looks like we need to update the website :).

2.  The PostgreSQL home page, by having a very prominent link to 8.3
(but only small links to 8.2 and lower) is obviously pushing 8.3 and
so will be the most likely to be installed.  They call it stable.

I happen to be a part of "They". I didn't say anything about stable, I said supported. There is a difference :) 8.3 breaks stuff, lots of it. It breaks it because it changes the way two very widely used items does things, Tsearch and casts.

3.  During a recent upgrade of my Debian testing (not unstable, but
testing) systems, I got this note:

 The old server and client packages are no longer supported. After the
 existing clusters are upgraded, the postgresql-8.2 and
 postgresql-client-8.2 packages should be removed.
 Please see /usr/share/doc/postgresql-common/README.Debian.gz for details.

So as far as at least one distro is concerned, 8.2 is obsolete and
unsupported, or so they say.

No you are misunderstanding Debian. Debian says that "as of testing" 8.2 is deprecated. That is *not* anywhere near close to stable or supported.

>  I suspect all Debian based distros will
do/have done the same, since a number are based on testing and/or
unstable.

Actually no. Ubuntu for example doesn't have 8.3 in dapper which is their current "Stable" until Hardy is released.

Is it possible to install implicit type casts?  That might be the
quickest and easiest thing for the short term.

No. It is a fundamental change.

And if you want to try PostgreSQL 8.3 with LSMB experimentally (for the
purpose of providing bug reports, etc), you want to be running the
validation tarball of 1.2.13.

I would be more than happy to do this if someone would tell me where to get it.

That is an excellent opportunity. Thanks for your offer to help.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake