Re: Thoughts on Voiding Invoices

On 9/25/06, David Tangye <..hidden..> wrote:
On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 17:49 -0700, Chris Travers wrote:

> > Agreed. A good DBMS like postgres can handle all this using triggers.
> > its actually very simple SQL in a well-designed database.
>
> Except that by doing so you compromise your audit trail.  You want to
> have as few transactions as possible to bring the data into a
> consistant state.

That's not correct. The audit trail is unaffected. Its remains: its at
another level.

Then I misunderstood you.  I was suggesting that FIFO accounting for
commodities (i.e. anything where one item is comparable to the next)
should be handled such that the logical parts are assumed to have
shifted invoces.  You suggested that this would be done by triggers,
which would foul up your audit trail.

The point is that the other invoices are not affected at all.  The
books are actually just adjusted to produce the correct numbers.  If
this is not what you meant, then my point doesn't hold up.