Re: PostgreSql Version

Hi,

Alejandro Imass wrote:
> Hi John, thanks for the info...
>
> Dapper _is_ 6.06, which I don't have installed anywhere (read below).
> The equivalence with Debian is usually to Testing and some Unstable. My
> arguments were more for Debian than for Ubuntu although I mixed the two
> because I have Ubuntu 5.10 in my client machines and Debian Stable on
> the servers, and only one Debian Testing on a test server. In Ubuntu
> 5.10 the most recent PostgreSql you can update to without pinning is
> 8.0.3. You would also have to check if Dapper "server" version has
> 8.1.4.

My new server is running the "server" version, but there's no difference
between packages available for the server or desktop installs--the only
difference is whether you install from a live CD in X, or a minimal set
of packages from a regular install CD. They both use the same
repositories. So yes, Dapper server has 8.1.4.

I was just responding to your statement:

> I don't think that you are going to get anything higher than 8.0.3
> from any Debian or Ubuntu release at the moment
Ubuntu seems to be leaving Debian behind... it'll be interesting to see
if Debian can work out their current internal struggles...
> I have the personal pledge to migrate all my clients from Sql-Ledger to
> LedgerSMB, but I have many other applications also and all sorts of
> dependency problems and security issues, so it's not that easy to have
> the latest versions of everything.

Understandable. I still have a few Mandrake 10.1 boxes with no more
security updates available, and a SuSE 9.0 box I can't upgrade because
of a legacy software package we can't upgrade because the licensing
model has changed and the costs would triple. And that client's been
unwilling to migrate to anything else...

--
John Locke
"Open Source Solutions for Small Business Problems"