Re: Forum and list management

Any objections from anyone on this?

On 9/13/06, Joshua D. Drake <..hidden..> wrote:
Chris Travers wrote:
> I would ask two things:
> 1)  How should we react to someone  who behaves the way the good Nigerian
> doctor from the SQL-Ledger list behaves?  Obviously we want to ban him (I
> won't go into why I think Dieter allows him to post).

The person is warned. If he does not heed the warning. He is banned. And
it is public. E.g;

Mr foo,

You are not adhering to our community code of conduct. Please read:

link here

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

LedgerSMB team.

If he/she does not comply, you do this:

Mr foo,

You have been warned. You are now banned.

Sincerely,

LedgerSMB team

And it goes *to the list* and him.

> 2)  How do we do this in a way that is sufficiently transparent to avoid
> the
> mistakes of the past with SQL-Ledger?  I.e. our initial security disclosure
> was deleted from the archives because Dieter thought it was inconsiderate.

We really are thinking to hard about this. We have plenty of good
references here. I know people are sensitive because of the SQL-Ledger
debacle, but let's move past that :). This is a new project that has
nothing to do with SQL-Ledger except the fixing of some very broken code
that originated from there.

As a reference for security the way postgresql does it, is they have a
separate security team that preps the release before announcement. That
way we have a fix in place when we announce it exists.

Obviously right now, we are just finding tons of problems so that may
make more sense as LedgerSMB matures.

> Ideally, banning someone from  list ought to be a serious matter.

Absolutely.

> Removing
> posts ought to be done carefully and with some agreement among the
> moderators.

Posts should not be removed. If it is sent to a public list, it is a
public post. Even if the post does not adhere to our code of conduct, it
should not be removed. It should be ignored and appropriate steps taken
toward the poster.

>    I don't mind having the Ubuntu code of conduct, but it will
> be helpful if there was also a strong commitment to transparency on the
> part
> of the moderators.

Absolutely.

Sincerely,