Re: Forum and list management

Chris Travers wrote:
I would ask two things:
1)  How should we react to someone  who behaves the way the good Nigerian
doctor from the SQL-Ledger list behaves?  Obviously we want to ban him (I
won't go into why I think Dieter allows him to post).

The person is warned. If he does not heed the warning. He is banned. And it is public. E.g;

Mr foo,

You are not adhering to our community code of conduct. Please read:

link here

Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

LedgerSMB team.

If he/she does not comply, you do this:

Mr foo,

You have been warned. You are now banned.

Sincerely,

LedgerSMB team

And it goes *to the list* and him.

2) How do we do this in a way that is sufficiently transparent to avoid the
mistakes of the past with SQL-Ledger?  I.e. our initial security disclosure
was deleted from the archives because Dieter thought it was inconsiderate.

We really are thinking to hard about this. We have plenty of good references here. I know people are sensitive because of the SQL-Ledger debacle, but let's move past that :). This is a new project that has nothing to do with SQL-Ledger except the fixing of some very broken code that originated from there.

As a reference for security the way postgresql does it, is they have a separate security team that preps the release before announcement. That way we have a fix in place when we announce it exists.

Obviously right now, we are just finding tons of problems so that may make more sense as LedgerSMB matures.

Ideally, banning someone from list ought to be a serious matter.

Absolutely.

Removing
posts ought to be done carefully and with some agreement among the
moderators.

Posts should not be removed. If it is sent to a public list, it is a public post. Even if the post does not adhere to our code of conduct, it should not be removed. It should be ignored and appropriate steps taken toward the poster.

   I don't mind having the Ubuntu code of conduct, but it will
be helpful if there was also a strong commitment to transparency on the part
of the moderators.

Absolutely.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

On 9/13/06, Joshua D. Drake <..hidden..> wrote:

David Tangye wrote:
> In idea to throw in before the problem arises.
>
> I suggest that the forum and list administrators should apply whatever
> personal judgement they wish to censor any items at their discretion as
> follows:
>
> - Never delete anything, but
> - Move items immediately:
>   - If its a forum message, to a forum called 'Censored' or 'Open
> Slather' or 'Flames' or whatever. That way possibly valuable info is not
> lost, no-one can complain too much about being shut out, but flame wars
> get collected into one place away from all the rest of the good topic
> matter, and those wishing to continue them don't impact those wishing to
> not read them.

Flames should be removed. People who flame, should be warned. If they do
not heed the warning, they should be banned from the lists.

This should be a civil list at all times. I would strongly suggest we
adopt the Ubuntu code of conduct for the *entire* project.

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/