Re: Error! Cannot connect to datasource...

On 4/6/07, Doug Poland <..hidden..> wrote:

On Thu, April 5, 2007 22:16, Chris Travers wrote:
> None of these raise red flags.
>
> The error you are getting happens when the DBI connect call happens
> without a proper connection string.  Normally we retrieve this from
> the user account, and you can log in the first time, so this seems to
> be stored properly.
>
> I don;t have a system I can test properly yet.  But here are a couple
> things to try:
>
> 1)  Try creating a new user account and see if that one can connect.

Bingo!

> 2)  What version of Perl are you using?  5.8?

5.8.8

I'm confused by the "Confirm Password Change" dialog.  When I set up
the new user and click "Save", I'm prompted with a pop-up dialog to
"Please confirm which user you are changing the password for".  In the
list is:

I usually tell my web browser to cancel on that popup.  That is firefox, right?

<>
ProblemUserName

Neither of those two choices are my new user.  So I clicked the <> and
pushed OK.  Amazing, now the new user can login, logout, login again.

So I went into the admin interface again, changed the password for
ProblemUserName, answered the dialog.  This time my password has no
special characters, and ProblemUserName can now login.  When I change
the password back to the original (contains an = sign).  I get the DBI
connect failure error message.

Ok, the = sign is a known problem.  Currently passwords cannot contain
= or & (because the SQL-Ledger codebase uses these to delimit fields
from the query string or posted content) but this should be changing
as soon as we can get away from the issues of legacy code.  I would
hope CGI.pm does a better job of handling this sort of thing.