Re: Persistent connections to database?

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:15:27 -0600
Charley Tiggs <..hidden..> wrote:

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
It sounds more like a machine level issue (bad configuration of
postgresql, not enough IO/RAM etc..)
Josh,

How many connections are we talking about at peak? What type of
hardware do you have?

80 connections at peak. Before the past two days, it had rarely exceeded 20 connections at peak.

Dell PowerEdge 860, dual-core Xeon 3.2 GHz, with 2 gig of memory.
72GB SCSI hard drives with 1MB disc cache.

How many hard drives, what raid level? I assume you mean 1G of cache?

What does your postgreql.conf look like? Is this a dedicated postgresql
machine or does apache and ledgersmb run on top of it?

What does it say if you connect to template1 and run vacuum verbose
analyze (I need the last 5 lines).

OS is FreeBSD 6.2. 2 hard drives RAID 0 (I think. I can't remember for sure). I do mean 1MB HDD cache. I looked for the smallest one possible.

Dedicated db machine, nothing else running on it.

Vaccum:

INFO:  analyzing "pg_catalog.pg_auth_members"
INFO: "pg_auth_members": scanned 0 of 0 pages, containing 0 live rows and 0 dead rows; 0 rows in sample, 0 estimated total rows
INFO:  free space map contains 13637 pages in 649 relations
DETAIL:  A total of 21168 page slots are in use (including overhead).
21168 page slots are required to track all free space.
Current limits are:  179200 page slots, 1000 relations, using 1115 kB.