Re: Persistent connections to database?

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
It sounds more like a machine level issue (bad configuration of
postgresql, not enough IO/RAM etc..)
Josh,

That was my initial thought on the issue and I spent quite some time trying to run it down over the three days and didn't see where, how I could have misconfigured postgres. If you have more specific
examples or a resource that is clearer/more specific than the
documentation at postgresql.org, I'd be happy to do further research
into the issue.

How many connections are we talking about at peak? What type of
hardware do you have?

80 connections at peak. Before the past two days, it had rarely exceeded 20 connections at peak.

Dell PowerEdge 860, dual-core Xeon 3.2 GHz, with 2 gig of memory. 72GB SCSI hard drives with 1MB disc cache.

Charley