Re: Calling all testers: 1.1 now in feature freeze

On 9/18/06, David Tangye <..hidden..> wrote:

The only way I have ever written application backup code, is to have the
code look in the database for subject matter, not the create__.sql
scripts that *might* be the basis for the current schema. This way, if
anyone adds columns, eg as per your latest fix allows, or someone hacks
a change into anywhere in the schema, that change is preserved, not
lost. Backup should backup exactly what is there, no matter how it got
there.

Yeah, well, there is a right way and a wrong way.  And I have no
comment on how SQL-Ledger does things....

pg_dump is the next level up isn't it? ie Its a DBMS level backup. Even
if it can back up per dataset, which fully contains an application's
data, its not quite the same thing.

Right.  It isn't quite the same thing.  But since the "backup"
function in LSMB and SL simply provides a db backup, it ought to be
the better one.

I don't quite follow this. If a restore using a pg_dump'ed file attempts
to create again an existing language, is this a problem? Notwithstanding
this, why not change the LedgerSMB backup option to simply backup
per-dataset via pg_dump?

The restore would fail, but then it is an easy problem to fix if it is
documented.