Re: RoadMap Question

Both of the examples cited here are specific-ish customizations for specific-ish businesses. What I mean be "specific-ish" is that the functionality does not apply to the majority of businesses, nor just a single business, but a sub-set of all businesses.

What I believe we need is a framework that allows user-specified workflow to be triggered under certain circumstances. For example, a new customer added could trigger an external process that checks the billing and shipping addresses and also checks an external credit database to apply the appropriate credit limit to the account and sends a 'welcome' email. Another example could be to automatically build a vendor PO whenever inventory falls below the re-order value - triggered by either a purchase or by a stocktaking function within LS.

Workflows of this nature would need specific hooks to start them within LS itself, but a capability to run "cron-initiated" or "user-initiated" (from a menu add-on, perhaps), or even "external process initiated" as in the case of a communication from a self-service portal or POS tool.

The project wiki could keep a collection of user-submitted workflows to perform specific-ish tasks to extend the functionality of LS without hindering development by incorporating additional code into the "base" installation.

Paul Wrightson

Scott Martin wrote: