Re: multiple "project-like" tags for transactions: 1.3? 2.0?

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 03:11:25PM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Apr 2010, brush wrote:
> >
> >> hi chris and others,
> >>
> >> you may remember from long ago a conversation about using LSMB with
> >> non-profits.  one of our primary challenges is tracking grants: some
> >> grants span multiple projects, or a single project is funded by multiple
> >> grants, or both.  organizing expenses by project within and across
> >> departments is very valuable, but we can't easily do both that and track
> >> grants correctly.
> >>
> >> a solution, it seems, would be to allow multiple "project" tables (with
> >> custom names, eg. "grants"?) and add them wherever project dropdowns
> >> exist currently.
> >
> > You're talking about multiple project dropdowns, I think.
>
> Or multiple selections on the dropdowns.
>
> It's something we can consider for 2.0, I think.  However, I think it
> would be better to have an addon specifically for grant accounting.

this would be fine.  but it would be great to get it in the pipeline so
that the framework takes into account the possibility of extra
project-like table(s).  i could possibly try to help a bit with the
programming, though my perl is inferior.

also, to luke: it wouldn't need a value field, since you can in general
just add multiple lines in the expense/income section of the AR/AP.

it would be good to start thinking about how to include this most
modularly ... my immediate thoughts simply involve a new table and
adding a second drop-down to AR, AP, GL, as well as a duplicate of the
"Projects" menu (ie. "Grants").

any concerns with this?

would it make sense to make an add-on for 1.3 that could then be ported
to 2.0, or is does the timing not make sense?

be well,
.b