Re: SL 2.8 to LedgerSMB 1.2

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Armaghan Saqib <..hidden..> wrote:
> Chris Travers wrote:
>> The goal here wasn't just to advertise the services but to provide a
>> framework of how this was done for other consultants to use too.  A
>> rising tide floats all boats.  Obviously this assumes you have a
>> pretty good idea that LedgerSMB 1.2 will work for you.
>>
> Thanks Chris. This is going to really help me when I need it.
>
> I was just wondering what additional application features 1.3 has over
> 1.2? (Besides better code, better security, better data model etc. which
> are really important too)

The major ones are:

1)  Separation of duties.  SQL-Ledger 2.8 has some separation of
duties features, 2.6 and LSMB 1.2 do not.  In 1.3, we have more
separation of duties features than SL 2.8

2)  MUCH improved reconciliation, and plugin model for bank file
imports (programmer-defined).

3)  Rich capabilities regarding customer/vendor storage, (more options
for contact info storage, multiple shipto's, etc)

4)  MUCH improved capabilities regarding payments (early payment
discounts, proper handling of overpayments, better workflow for batch
payment processing.

5)  Security and user permissions enforcement.  Previous versions had
some security against bad code.  Now we can actually protect against
bad users too.....

6)  Dropdowns in GL entry have been replaced with type-ahead text
boxes (AJAX controls).

There are some other minor ones too (on-hold invoices, etc).

Additionally, we are working on standards for addons.  Current addons
which could be integrated easily include:

1)  Memorized transactions (tagged already at 1.0):  Memorize common
transactions, edit and save or post.

2)  Fixed asset management (valuation, depreciation, and disposal),
nearing completion

3)  Enhanced trial balance capabilities (useful for some of the
higher-end users, allows users to run partial trail balances, i.e.
against a set of accounts)

4)  Returns tracking:  Cross-reference credit notes due to product
returns with original invoice.

5)  Save any report for later.