Re: where to start -- what Linux distro?

Just a note on Pg 8.3 support.

The official line is:  "We have fixed all the problems we know about
and no more problems have been reported.  Other issues could crop up
though."

The move from Pg 8.2 to 8.3 is a very big one, and type casting
changes are just the tip of the iceberg.  1.2.x should be usable with
PostgreSQL 8.3, and 1.3.x  will support Pg 8.3 an be tested officially
on that platform (the changes are actually a much bigger problem for
the forthcoming LSMB 1.3, but we will be supporting Pg 8.3 there)

At the moment, I know of a number of LedgerSMB users who are using Pg
8.3 with no further problems and I would say that I now have
confidence in Pg 8.3 support.

There is a lot of pain at the moment with our dependencies undergoing
very deep changes.  In addition to PostgreSQL 8.3, DBD::Pg 2.0 has
also been released which thus far does not appear to affect LedgerSMB
1.2.x but has forced us to do a lot of work in TRUNK to get it
working.