Re: Using the invoice system - government rules

On 10/30/07, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
> On 10/30/07, John R. Hogerhuis <..hidden..> wrote:
> > On 10/30/07, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:

> Hmmm.... Knowledge Tree is MySQL only which means that if you are
> trying to use it as a paperles solution your documents are backed up
> outside your accounting db.  I am not sure this is very good.

Good point.

>From this:
'http://forums.knowledgetree.com/viewtopic.php?p=2196&sid=280a6fbc8ddaac5d2ea0a28d7c5a3734

it looks like it's on their roadmap so they would likely accept a
patch :-) I doubt their schema would be that unwieldy. But I don't
really know.

> I wonder if there are any good open source equivalents on PostgreSQL.
> If not, I think we are best off to modularly add source document
> management (a very specific subset of DMS) to LedgerSMB.  If it is
> modular, then we can allow for people to create connectors to other
> DMS solutions.

You could be right. I don't know of a PostgreSQL based DMS. I recall a
few Java based DMSes in my searches, they might be PostgreSQL based.

My instinct is that a port of KT to PostgreSQL would be more of a
straight solve and lower long term maintenance for LedgerSMB project
than engineering a DMS from scratch.

I'll take a look at their code and I'll consider putting a patch where
my mouth is. Did you notice anything else problematic with KT?

--
http://devwrights.com/blog