Re: Using the invoice system - government rules

Just to give you an idea of how something similar was done with SL 2.4.x....

In Greece, you guy special invoice paper from the tax office, and
invoices are printed on separate printers (which basically accept a
plain text invoice and prnt on the tax paper.  For AR invoices, the
following gapless sequences apply:

Invoice
InvoiceTransit Voucher
Transit Voucher (basically a packing slip with some additional info)
Void
Return

Obviously, this adds a lot of additional logic.  For example, a single
AR invoice could have any number of numbers associated with it (an
invoice, a transit voucher, any number of returns, etc).

For this reason, I set up a system so one could only print and post,
and whereby the print options were defined by various rules (can't
have either an invoice or a transit voucher with a combined
invoice/transit voucher, etc).  I then created a printed document
number table which allowed one to attach these to the invoice.
Needless to say, this involved a lot of work on IR.pm, IS.pm, ir.pl,
is.pl, io.pl, etc).  When a document was printed, a record would be
locked and a new one inserted.  Thus all printing and posting of
invoices was serialized.  The existing invoice number field was then
relegated to an internal control number and not necessarily related to
the printed invoice number (which was stored separately).

As I am thinking about this, it seems to me that the Greek model,
while a lot more involved than your system in Hungary, would probably
pose the best system for an optional gapless invoice numbering system
(because it could be adapted to suit more countries).  We could then
allow for various sequences to be attached to certain types of printed
documents.  We could even add document management capabilities to this
system if we need to.