Re: Using the invoice system - government rules

Hi,

2007. 10. 30, kedd keltezéssel 10.16-kor Chris Travers ezt írta:

> Looking through your list of requirements, these look like they are
> specific to AR.  Am I wrong here?

Account receivable, I think yes, at this moment it is related only to
AR.

> I have done even more intrusive changes to SQL-Ledger in the past.
> LedgerSMB should be a lit easier to work with in this area, and in 1.4
> this hsould become downright easy :-)

This is very good news :)

> > Here are the required features to use the invoice module
> >
> > 1st
> > The number of the invoice, issued with the LS must be gap-less
> > numbering, automatically.
>
> Is this specific to invoices?  Do packing slips or similar documents
> (in Greece, they have "transit vouchers") need independant, tracked
> numbering?

Yes, this is specific to invoices.
My guess, if one can manage this for invoice, optionally it should be
useful for all (nearly all) similar documents.
For example, when one install a new dataset, the initial settings should
provide some controls to manage these local-specific requirements.

For example in the invoices case a form:

Invoice starting value: [_________________________]
Gap-less, tracked invoice numbers  ( )
Free-style invoice numbers         (*)

> Are there any other odd specifics here (special hardware for printing
> invoices or the like)?

If one uses a laser printer, one must print 3 copies. If somebody uses a
matrix printer with 3-copies-leporello, he only needs one to print.
Hmmm, I forgot this option. You are right, it is a possibility to one
use any kind of printer, even hammer and rock or braille ....

> > For example:
> > starting from: INV100001
> > next numbers are:  INV100002, INV100003
> > Any additional part probably no problem in the print view, such as date,
> > short customer name etc., for example:   SHELL-2007/10-SZ100124
> >
> > Other invoice numbers (from a paper based invoice) should be record
> > here, but in this case, this invoice must be restricted to print/email.
> > This is only to record our invoice, come from somewhere else. I think,
> > this feature already exists.
> >
> > 2nd
> > The auto-assigned invoice numbers must be unchangeable after save the
> > invoice. In fact, modifying the actual invoice number also must be not
> > possible.
>
> I expect that soon we will require full transaction reversal on all
> invoices by default on the database side.   Also after 1.4, it should
> be possible to prevent people from updating the invoice information
> table where certain criteria are met.

I agree. Especially, if something saved and issued (invoice), the
content must be never updated.

> > The best way, probably, when one install a new dataset, it is possible
> > to determine the company standard initial number.
> >
> > 3rd
> > The invoice must contains additional fields:
> > * payment method: cash, bank transfer, card etc.
> > Probably a text field should be enough, where the user can write the
> > "cash" or "bank transfer".
>
> I agree that this would be an important eature request which would
> also be generally applicable.

If possible, with some additional preferences with them.
Look at the "Saving date" which means, when the invoice saved to the
database (save and print in the form):

New field -> invoice date
		type [date/datetime/sequence/text/list]
		required [ ]
		auto-value (default) [current_date() / current_datetime() / SEQ1120 /
"changeme" / "cash,promise,pray,bank"]

> > Or somewhere in the Basic settings should be define a "list" with the
> > possible values (for example: "cash,bank transfer, card") and on the
> > invoice form should be a selectbox with these values.
> > * the date when the invoice saved.
>
> I was thinking of a simple database table and a simple interface
> similar to what we do for taxes.

See above, yes. With a framework, this kind of feature allows users to
extend documents with any kind of locale-specific data.
Easy to manage (relatively) these predefined sequences, lists etc.
Easy to insert them into the form (I do not know, how :)

> > 4th
> > Printing invoice
> > The printed invoice must contains the following, when it printed first
> > time:
> > * how many copies are made
> > * the copy number on each copies
> > * Example:
> >         1st copy of 3
> >         2nd copy of 3
> >         3rd copy of 3
> > When it printed 2nd time and more, it only must contain a note, instead
> > of the copy numbers: "This is a copy of the original invoice, with
> > exactly the same content"
>
> Ok, this would be another generally applicable feature request.

One half in the application side, the other in the invoice (whatever)
template.
See later.

> > I would like to know you opinion, how difficult to solve these
> > localization problems in that way, all modifications would be part of
> > the mainstream LS.
>
> Here are my thoughts:
>
> The only one which is not generally applicable is the gapless invoice
> numbering.  Many countries do not require gapless numbering (and the
> performance cost might be prohibitive here), and other countries have
> strange rules for such numbering.  For example, in Greece, you have to
> have separate gapless numbering sequences for invoices which are
> delivered with goods (and hence also function as "transit vouchers")
> vs invoices which are sent separately. vs invoices which void other
> invoices vs product returns.
>
> The best solution here is to keep the local requirements in mind when
> we build the new invoice system in 1.4 so that such behavior can be
> safely modularized.

Based on your idea, you wrote above, I think it could be possible. The
invoice number could be a predefined field.
But this example from Greece seems tricky.....
But in this special case, the user should choose between two or more
predefined sequences.....

> The rest should be generally applicable and could be incorporated in
> the core distribution.

This is the one of the best news in this year :)

Generally, that kind of sql-ledger on my homepage (downloadable) already
contains these local specific modifications.
Some of them use additional database tables, modified templates etc.
The author of that localized sql-ledger tried to put his work into the
mainstream, but he failed. He told me this.

I think, all my country would be happy to get LS work here :)

Regarding the 1.3 and 1.4.

As I understand, you (core team) will finish the work with 1.3 soon (~2
months) and after you (core team) will start working on 1.4 and bugfixes
for 1.3.
Am I wrong?

Regards,
István