Re: Site for LedgerSMB Forum

Chris Travers wrote:
Hi;

I think there are questions as to the utility of forums. I will give my list of pros/cons here.

Pros:
There is some question whether our target market will be happier on forums as we move into more of the Quickbooks Basic market. Maybe.....

Cons:
Mailing lists allow for generally better collaboration than forums.
Unless there is a commitment from the core team to actually respond to the forums, it is hard to see how they will be effective. If there is a commitment from the core team to respond on forums, this means that it is one more resource taking away from debelopment time.

Based on the above reasons, I am not entirely sure I would support adding forums at this time as a part of our core infrastructure. Additionally I would note that I have been active in recruiting office manager types (non-techie) types to the mailing lists and have gotten no complaints so far.

There was actually a person who did create a web site for LedgerSMB forums.
That would be me.
The only issue was that we (on the core team) felt that the site gave the impression that it was part of the infrastructure we maintain
I requested any such objections on this list, promising not to officially announce the site until all objections were fixed. I threw the existing site up very quickly with no intention of leaving it in its ugly, rough form it has remained in (both visually and editorially) Perhaps I misunderstood somehow, but the response seemed to basically be : We don't want this, please don't waste our time.
At the same time, a clear "close the site down" was also lacking.
This is the first time that anyone has stated that the site looked too much a part of official infrastructure. Exactly the input I was requesting prior to developing the look for the website.

and so a request was made that was never responded to: simply state specifically that this is a contributed resource and who is contributing it.
I stated on this list and on the site exactly this. If the wording on the site was inappropriate, I would have been happy to remedy it. I have to ask. Did any core members actually go to the site? Revisit after the one requested change? (If anyone does visit the site now, the stated information is now wrong. I have had to close my business due to health problems.)

This avoids the project having problems if things go badly and helps contributing individuals get credit for what they do. I personally would not support endorsing a site outside the direct control of the project core team which does not explicitly state who is contributing and running it.
The site was meant to assist LedgerSMB, not produce income. I was only seeking private core team endorsement by honoring their requests about look, links and other things that could hurt/help the project.

I had planned to delete the site in a few weeks due to lack of interest. There is an email bounce problem also which I never fixed, which I think is due to reverse IP rejection.
I am not qualified to answer questions about LSMB
I am still willing to bring the site to a less crude state and run the site.
The site would now be a personal contribution  by me alone.
Now would be a good time for a clear answer: keep it or close it.

If these changes are made, I have no doubt that we will link to them in the public community.

In the mean time, this is an opportunity for those who want a larger role in the community: If you think this is important to run and are willing to devote the time and attention to answering questions at least at first, and want to have credit for your contributions, please feel free to create a forum site and follow the simple rules above: State that this is a resource contributed to the community by you. We have done the same with the wiki that Frauerpower contributed :-)