Re: Site for LedgerSMB Forum

On Thursday 09 August 2007 12:27:30 Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > As a matter of fact, I usually require the existence of an open Forum
> > before seriously considering any software for use or recommendation.
> > To date it has been the perfect litmus test.  Since then, I've never
> > picked any dead-end projects or orphaned software.
>
> Sorry but this is so off compass. PostgreSQL, Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS,
> Apache, Jakarta, I can go on and on and on.

 I wasn't going to say anything, but now that Josh has I'll chime in too. I
agree with Josh's statement above, and I can add to it. One of my current
clients (a fairly popular distro vendor) actually tried to move to forums
about a year or so ago. The backlash was so bad that they had to quickly
abandon it and stick with the mailing lists.

 So, they tried to setup a parallel forum, and it's had very little success.

 This isn't to say that forums aren't valuable in some contexts, but I do
think that having exclusively mailing lists isn't a detriment to the project
at all.

Cheers,

Chris