Re: For those interested in the CRM/Entity management

On 6/26/07, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:

Unrelated to the original question, but I actually have a use for more
document handling.   In my case I need to get some signed agreements
from each customer, which for various reasons have a bearing on their
tax status and hence need to be easily retrieved per customer.
Accounting system would be a great place to store them.  Usually they
are returned electronically, but it will be no great issue to scan them
in if not.

Understood.

It would also be useful to be able to store that info relationally so
that it can be searched for.  I guess it would be nice to either have a
strong facility to add custom fields per invoice and per customer which
the system implementor can maintain, or perhaps make it much easier to
integrate with an external CRM such as Sugar/Tiger, etc.

I expect a lot of this to be easier in 1.3.

I noticed there was a Sugar plugin to sync Quickbooks with Sugar and
present views of the accounts data in Sugar.  Perhaps it would be a
stronger route at this point to work on a Sugar plugin rather than
(initially) trying to add more than fairly simple CRM abilities to LSMB?

Doing a plugin via something like DBI-link would certainly work.

However, personally, I don't like Sugar much.  I find the general
overall application hard to extend and I don't like the db schema
much.  I see connectors as great for stop-gap measures and for
integrating with systems already in place, but in the end, I don't
think it will stop us from adding more CRM type features.