Re: New email list announcement

I woul d just add that this effort *has* had a positive public impact.
Dieter has reverted back to the GPL though fairly unhappily.  My own
opinion has always been that his license is up to him, but that users
ought to know what is going on and other copyright holders should be
involved.  After all this affects them too.

This is the main reason why it is very unlikely that the core of
LedgerSMB will be anything other than GPL-- we have a strong degree of
respect for other peoples' copyrights and would require all
substantial contributors' permission before changing licenses.
Sub-projects could, of course, be other OSI-approved licenses such as
LGPL, etc. provided that our obligations to contributors are met.

As far as I am concerned, this battle is over and as much as possible
needs tobe patched back together.  This whole thing has been
distracting, and I think we need to recognize it as such.

There are a few things that need addressing, however.  As of this
writing, SQL-Ledger.com has some very... unkind... things to say about
forks.  His arguments may hold some weight for people unfamiliar with
the economics of open source, so I think that we need to have a
discussion on our web site as to why we are economically viable.  I
don't think we need to reference his project on the site.  It is
probably a good idea to get our point across.