Re: Docmentation/FAQs

Keeping the barrier to entry low for documentation is important to
both of us.  I think that both LaTeX and Docbook present both
challenges and solutions in this area and that management of the
document is probably more important than the choice of markup
language.  In general, I think that the following considerations are
more important than format:

1)  Support by good graphical editors without compromising ability to
edit the files easily in a text editor or having the graphical editors
play havoc with revision control.  I.e. I am not inclined to accept
huge patches just because a graphical editor decided to reformat the
text (this also makes editorial review/control far harder when
changing three lines means re-importing the whole document).

2)  Having a good, easily readible format that doesn't require an
editor to make sense of or change.

3)  Maintaining the presentation logic entirely separately from the content.

I am not opposed to working with a different format. We may, however,
want to maintain a (very short) whitelist of supported editors that
are largely guaranteed not to reformat things like whitespace which
may be semantically irrelevant to SGML or LaTeX but may be quite
important to SVN.