Re: Install fails at a basic first step when installing perl modules - INSTALL needs changing

On 17/10/12 15:24, Chris Travers wrote:

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM, Kevin Bailey <..hidden..> wrote:
On 17/10/12 00:27, Ye Chuah wrote:
> apt-get install libmodule-install-perl

Thanks for that.

I suggest the INSTALL file needs changing.

In the section for squeeze add in something like:

"To be able to run 'perl Makefile.PL' you'll need to install
libmodule-install-perl.  This module is not needed for LedgerSMB itself
so can be removed after the install."

Technically we should avoid any distro-specific info in the INSTALL.  We should call it Module::Install and let people with specific distros search for such packages.  For example in Fedora, it's called perl-module-install.  Leave the distro-specific stuff to others.

That doesn't make sense because there's whole sections in the INSTALL file referring to squeeze and lenny for example.  And this sort of thing is a complete showstopper for the average installer.

I've spent years and years working with PHP and we run dozens of servers.  I've spent years working as a programming contractor.  If I'm struggling to even get LS working then that means there's a huge barrier to entry for the average user/sysadmin.  If you're not used to perl then it can be a bit of a pain.

Therefore, the INSTALL file HAS to specifically tell the user to install the
libmodule-install-perl

module in squeeze otherwise the 'perl Makefile.PL' line won't work.

Currently I would say that the INSTALL file is not fit for purpose and needs to be properly tidied up.  I've sent through my installation notes and will continue to add further notes as I resolve further issues.

I have spent about 5-6 days working on this so far and I still don't have a working installation of LS!  To my mind the installation needs to be as painless as possible to increase working installation numbers.

As a further thought - I guess that the 'perl Makefile.PL' is supposed to make sure all required perl modules are installed.  If each distro needs to have something installed before you can even run 'perl Makefile.PL' then it is VITAL that there are some notes which explain what needs to be installed for different distros.

Please excuse my frustration - but I really do want our new accounts to be on LS and not SL - and at the moment I am under real pressure to get a working set of accounts up as staff now need to start issuing quotes/invoices etc.

Regards,

Kevin Bailey