Re: Postgres problem on LedgerSMB (Ubuntu 10.10)

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 08:30 +0100, Nigel Titley wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 02:27 -0400, Luke wrote:
> > I'm not even exactly sure how a reboot would fix that, unless it be
> > a library being cached for some reason.
> > Hmm, some other process keeping it open maybe?
>
> Yes, exactly. I've been running Linux systems for many years and it
> just hadn't occurred to me to try a reboot. I thought that maybe it
> was a  library caching issue which is why I tried rebuilding the
> ldconfig tables. But it didn't help. Your thought about a process
> keeping it open is a possible if the upgrade didn't restart the
> database itself.

Hi Nigel,

I would recommend just restarting the postgresql service rather than the
entire machine. On my Mandriva 2010.2 system here that can be
accomplished with (as root):

        service postgresql restart

Probably Ubuntu does it differently. Maybe one would use:

        sudo /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql restart
        OR
        sudo /etc/init.d/postgresql restart

That takes about 4 seconds to restart here, compared to a wee bit longer
for a reboot. If you did try that, I missed your comment about it.

Gene Alexander