Re: Running away from SQL-Ledger

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:36 PM, Luke <..hidden..> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Armaghan Saqib wrote:
>
>> 1. LedgerSMB 1.2 support will discontinue soon. (In a year or so)
>
> Did Chris actually say that?  Additionally, it being open source, support
> is at the discretion of the community is it not?

The original comment was that 1.2 would be supported around as long as
Pg 8.0 was supported, though perhaps it was badly worded on my part.
There's some confusion here as to whose support we would expect to
use.

Here is my thinking:  To discontinue 1.2 support we need, at a minimum to have:

1)  Pg 8.0 to be unsupported to pretty much all our users.  I would
propose that we accept that since Red Hat tends to support Pg for an
extra year or so, we use that schedule as a minimum.
2)  LSMB 1.3 out and folks really happy with it
3)  Ample time to migrate

That suggests another year or so, minimum, either including or
followed by a draw-down of support.  This would be normal anyway since
the number and severity of bugs reported is likely to continue to drop
as the branch ages.

Also if 1.2 gets included in Debian at some point, we might have to
rethink this and offer much-extended support at least for a minimal
set of bugs....

Hope this helps,
Chris Travers