Re: Running away from SQL-Ledger

On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 19:59 -0700, ..hidden.. wrote:
> no need to run...it has to do with perl and certain platforms.
> checkout
> the links below...we were able to solve it in an afternoon. just
> recompile
> perl without the usethread option. we are using sl 2.8.17., and will
> be
> using it probably for the next ten years as we had invested a lot of
> times
> in replication and paperless invoice. upgrading will be a nightmare.
> hey,
> the last time we used some 2002 version for 7 years. so not bad...good
> luck...tim

Thanks Tim.

We found the info you kindly pointed us to before asking the question.
In some cases, the error goes away, although it is not related to
threads -- threads are not in use in our setup. There are reports from
users that followed the advice, and the problem persisted.

For a concise counter example, see

http://osdir.com/ml/debian-bugs-dist/2010-02/msg07381.html

or

http://rt.perl.org/rt3//Public/Bug/Display.html?id=50142

Note that the developers report that the bug has always been there, yet
Perl now detects the problem and complains loudly.

Likely we could compile an older, additional Perl -- this would be a
better solution than replacing the system's Perl -- but it turned out to
be way easier for us to keep a chroot with the old system while needed
(or until a suitable Perl patch is added to Debian's).

However, the inspection of the codebase that I did while researching
this incident, as well as the rest of what I found, provided all the
justification we needed to jump ship. At the time we'll keep running an
Etch version until we close this FY. Then we can start with a clean
slate, hopefully.

Best regards

-lem