Re: Running away from SQL-Ledger

Luke wrote:
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010, Armaghan Saqib wrote:
1. LedgerSMB 1.2 support will discontinue soon. (In a year or so)
Did Chris actually say that?
Yes. I asked that question on the list. I don't remember exactly (quick archives search could not get me that email) but he said something like it will be supported as long as Postgresql 8.3 is supported (which is about 6-12 months). The problems might arise with new Linux distributions containing new versions of postgresql, DBD and other perl module dependencies.
Additionally, it being open source, support is at the discretion of the community is it not?
That's the one of the benefit of the open source. But the problem is that most developers move to the next cool thing (LSMB 1.3, 2.0) etc. because clients are always asking for the latest and the greatest. And it is not always possible for small shops (like me) to keep supporting a number of entirely different code bases.

I have just started supporting a few LSMB installations and also about to offer hosting. While doing a custom work on LSMB for a client I did discover few minor issues and reported one of these (customer/vendor lookup do not honor start/end dates) to the list. So I might be contributing any support/fixes in future. But I shall be really happy if the LSMB team can announce a bit extended support period like 2-5 years etc.

Regards
Armaghan
--
http://www.ledger123.com/