Re: At the end of my teather with LSMB

On 28 May 2008, at 07:58, ..hidden.. wrote:

Quoting Stroller <..hidden..>:

On 27 May 2008, at 18:06, ..hidden.. wrote:
... In the UK ... there is a requirement that invoices be
consecutively
numbered.

Is this new?

I did a "starting your own business" course at the local Chamber of
Commerce before I became self-employed 3 or 4 years ago, and my
understanding at that time was that invoice numbers had to be
*unique*, rather than consecutive.

I was told this by my accountant.  The tax trolls get very unhappy if
they perceive gaps in your numbering (what are you hiding in the gaps,
you traitor?).  I'll ask him again when I see him.

Yes, but there's an obvious difference between:

00042
00043
00044
00046	(missing number precedes)

and:

20080501
20080502
20080503
20080512 (issued on the last day of May)
20080601
20090101

If one accepts that date-based invoice numbers are acceptable (and I contend the taxman might do so), no-one expects to see invoice number 20081301, and the "gap" between 20080512 and 20080601 is quite logical & reasonable. It's the anomalies that raise the taxman's hackles, not the choice of implementation.

Stroller.