Re: Failure in build script

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 08:34 -0800, Chris Travers wrote:

> On Jan 27, 2008 4:52 AM, beamends <..hidden..> wrote:
>         On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 00:46 -0500, Luke wrote:
>         > apt-get -q install postgresql-8.2
>

>         Hi Luke,
>         thanks for that. The postgres problem was probably 2 things :
>
>         ..hidden..:~$ /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.1 restart
>         open: Permission denied
>          * Restarting PostgreSQL 8.1 database server
>         open: Permission denied
>          * Error: You must run this program as the cluster owner
>         (postgres)
>         open: Permission denied
>
> Run the script as root (the same way it does when you start the
> system).  This allows the program to spawn off as the proper user.
>

>         so something has gone wrong there!
>
>         The other is :
>         ..hidden..:~$ sudo apt-get -q install postgresql-8.2
>         Reading package lists...
>         Building dependency tree...
>         Reading state information...
>         Package postgresql-8.2 is not available, but is referred to by
>         another
>         package.
>         This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted,
>         or
>         is only available from another source
>         E: Package postgresql-8.2 has no installation candidate
>

> 8.1 should be sufficient.  I would not worry about upgrading to 8.2
> since that requires a dump/reload of the database anyway.
>

> Best Wishes
> Chris Travers

Hi Chris,
I think the root of my troubles may have been that the update from
Dapper (on CD) to Edgy then to Feisty didn't go too well, the system had
ended up as Edgy and a bit, hence a whole ruck of unsatisfiable
dependencies.......

May I ask if the Install file in the distribution has changed lately,
there seems to be a lot of stuff I had to do before that isn't there
now?

Cheers
Richard