Re: Failure in build script

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008, beamends wrote:

> Thanks for he help, but something really daft is going on - please bear

Note that this message has nothing to due with the subject line--you might
change it on your next post.  I have left the subject in tact incase you
are watching for it.  You may not get much help under this subject.

> The story so far:
> I've done a complete re-install of Ubuntu Feisty, only last time I used
> Dapper (I think - these names totally confuse me), and I'm using Apache2

The names go in alphebetical order--dapper, edgy, feisty, gutsy...

> as that was what was already installed, rather than Apache which was
> present last time.

That shouldn't matter, except that the ledgersmb-httpd.conf file needs to
go in /etc/apache2/conf.d/.

> So far trying to install LSMB I've had to use CPAN, Perl has re-compiled
> itself (to Perl5.5-10.0 - god alone knows what I've done there - I just
> took the default options!), Postgrges is installed but won't respond,
> except at re-install - none of this happened last time.....

Let's talk about this postgresql thing.  What do you mean by respond?

Make sure it's running:

/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.2 restart

If you get any output from that, then post it.  You should see this:

"
 * Restarting PostgreSQL 8.2 database server
   ...done.
"

To see if it's running, try this:

su - postgres
psql

If you see something like this:

"

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

postgres=#
"

Then it's working just fine.  Type "\q" followed by enter, then "exit"
followed by enter.

If you see something like this:

"
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
        connections on Unix domain socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
"

Then you have problems and need to tell us more.

If you haven't installed any data, and haven't done the ledgersmb database
setup yet, then run these:

apt-get -q remove postgresql-8.2
apt-get -q clean
apt-get -q install postgresql-8.2

At this point, it should be installed, configured, and working.  If some
how it isn't, you should tell us why you think that.

(If you're not using 8.2 you should be.)

> I'm supposed to be going live with LSMB on the 6th of Feb and I'm at my
> wits end - is there a set of install instructions anywhere that assume
> no previous Linux knowledge i.e. no stuff like "just use CPAN" when I
> don't know what it is/for?

None that I know of, but then I know very little.:)

Cpan is a shell which installs PERL components.  Sort of like an apt-get
for PERL.

Personally, I much prefer apt packages for PERL modules, because no
compiling is required, but what'ya gonna do?

Maybe someone else can comment on this, but what support utilities are
needed for cpan?  For example, are make, automake, autoconf, gcc, etc.,
actually needed for the things that cpan is doing for ledgersmb?

I believe that they are, but they are listed nowhere in the docs.

Cpan itself wants wget, ncftp, ftp, lynx, and a bunch of other crap that
may or may not be required.  Since I don't actually know, I just installed
it all before I did my latest ledgersmb install.

I would be willing to give one of the developers here root access to a
pristine defaultish Ubuntu installation, in order to investigate any of
this, if that is an issue.  Completely liability free--it would be a
throwaway installation.

Regards,

Luke