Re: drafting invoices

I think we're talking cross purposes here.

I'm not an accountant, nor do I play one on TV.

Ditto..

I think a lot of folks who might use L-SMB would be turned off by such
a rigidly-conforming system.  My suggestion would be continue with
allowing users the option of either allowing re-posting of records or
not allowing it.  I'm just not too sure who would be well-served by
this "draft" mode.

I have three answers to that:

(1) The primary reason I am interested in LedgerSMB is precisely because I see a good stand on rigidly following the rules. An ability to adjust a transaction retrospectively is just not acceptable as it destroys my audit trail and accounting transparency. The reason I'm so hard on that is easy: we had a substantial fraud occurring in one of the businesses I deal with, and it happened via creative use of weaknesses in accounting (which is why I now know a lot more about this <wry grin>). There is no way I would accept anything but a full reverse and report audit trail now - I have seen what can happen otherwise. Besides, it's much easier to get accounts signed off if it's transparent what happens when.
In short, I have good reasons to abhor any 'flexibility' in accounting..

(2) The draft mode is a front end activity. Like a draft email, in principle the document in progress does not exist to the world, only to the operator, i.e. it does not affect the business or the accounts. I would want to make sure that any print function or presentation of any such documents would paste "DRAFT" or "NULL AND VOID" or "THIS IS A TEST" as a graphic (not background because browsers exclude that in print.
That stops the potential for it being used as a way to generate formal docs
without a matching audit trail. I can see the use of this function, but it's also an avenue for abuse so you need a master on/off switch. When the draft is turned into a formally issued invoice (i.e. indeed affects the business/stock/accounts) all warning signs could be removed.

(3) It strikes me that such a mechanism is a nice route into template invoices. Use draft to create one, then store as template. Wouldn't
really work for any of the businesses I work with, but I can see use.

/// P ///