Re: drafting invoices

On Sun, Mar 18, 2007 at 12:31:25PM -0700, Chris Travers wrote:
> A draft, unlike a quotation, order, or invoice, would not represent a
> document to be delivered to a customer (of course orders and
> quotations have some flexibility once sent for further negotiation and
> could be used instead, they may also carry legal weight, though
> IANAL).  A draft would not be printable, and could not be emailed to
> the customer.  A draft, however, could be converted into a quotation
> (or rfq), order, or invoice.

> Any thoughts, issues, concerns?

I'm not an accountant, nor do I play one on TV.  As a small business
owner, I'm using accounting software as a convenience (as the IRS does
not require me to do this).  All I want at the end of the month (or other
accounting period) are accounts that reflect the state of the
business: Purchases, expenses, etc.  I also use the system to print
invoices.  If I make a mistake, then I correct the invoice and repost.

This "draft" mode is useless for such an operation.   I do a lot of
lurking here, and I believe a good number of L-SMB users are "casual"
users who aren't accountants and are simply doing their best to keep
some semblance of order in their record-keeping.

I think a lot of folks who might use L-SMB would be turned off by such
a rigidly-conforming system.  My suggestion would be continue with
allowing users the option of either allowing re-posting of records or
not allowing it.  I'm just not too sure who would be well-served by
this "draft" mode.

  --Brian