Re: drafting invoices

On 3/18/07, Peter Houppermans <..hidden..> wrote:
David,

> The general agreement was that invoices, being effectively legal
> documents, should not be changed once sent. That's fine. The problem is
> that the 'Post' button on the invoice screen is taken to mean 'Sent',
> and I believe that this is not necessarily true. [..]

I think you're principally asking for a 'store as draft' button..  Not a
bad idea, could be handy when you're negotiating price and discounts as
you can roll the invoice as soon as you have the agreement formalised.

As I think about it, it might not be a bad idea to have "draft"
documents that could then be converted into quotations, orders, and
invoices.  It would probably be handled as a subtype of order.

I think there are two issues we need to look at:

1)  Any financial transaction, once posted to the books should not be
altered.  Additional internal comments are OK (and will be provided
for separately).  We expect this to be addressed in 1.4.0.

2) Issues like correcting posted financial transactions should be done
on the backend accoring to generally accepted accounting principles
regardless of whether we present the user with a friendly way to do
it.  For example, a "Repost" button might map on the back-end to:

$invoice->void();
$invoice->{rel_invoice} = $invoice->{id};
delete $invoice->{id};
delete $invoice->{invnumber};
$invoice->post();

This way proper tracking could be done by accountants if an audit occurs.