Re: drafting invoices

Ok, I think you folks misunderstand what I am saying about making sure
that things are done GAAP-compliant on the back-end.

The big thing is that what you see when you "correct and repost" an
invoice should be what makes sense with your workflow.  I.e. pull up
the invoice, enter new numbers, click "Repost" and it does all the
GAAP-compliant wizardry behind the scenes.  I posted pseudocode for
this before.  It *might* not look quite the same as I posted before
but the idea is that you can have a basic button that is convenient
workflow and automates the details of GAAP behind the scenes.

On 3/18/07, Ashley J Gittins <..hidden..> wrote:
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007, ..hidden.. wrote:
> This "draft" mode is useless for such an operation.   I do a lot of
> lurking here, and I believe a good number of L-SMB users are "casual"
> users who aren't accountants and are simply doing their best to keep
> some semblance of order in their record-keeping.

I was thinking much along the same lines - for us being able to alter
transactions is a great boon, as is having the system not enforcing rules
just because they are "best practice" (eg, many systems won't allow selling
inventory into negatives which is just crazy for many businesses).

That said though, having the ability to set up SL to enforce rules would be a
great boon for many other users (especially sites with staff). In our setup
the only staff are the biz owners so trust is not an issue, but if you have
staff then enforcing reversal and controlling edits becomes very important.

I would encourage any efforts to add business rule enforcements as _optional_
rules that can be switched on and off (by suitably authorised pesons only, of
course).

As for drafts specifically, I guess it would be helpful for some to be able to
save invoices and other docs "in progress" - I wonder how much extra
infrastructure is going to be required though to handle these "twilight zone"
documents though - it ain't an invoice, and it ain't a sales order, it's some
sort of embryonic thing that has no home in the current reporting or menu
system, so some effort might be required in adding a new "state" for these
docs. Others will likely have good ideas for solving this though so don't
think I'm entirely against it, I just think it's not as simple as adding
a "save" button to the invoice entry screen.

Personally I would probably want to turn drafts off - if you are doing an
invoice, FINISH IT! It just opens up another hole for things to fall through
imho, but I know it would suit some people's workflows better.

--
Regards,
        Ashley J Gittins