Re: total newbie questions

On 2/11/07, Stroller <..hidden..> wrote:

On 12 Feb 2007, at 01:50, Keith Lowe wrote:
> I did this with AR-->Sales Invoice.
>
> I select the customer from the pull down.
>
> Question #1 - do I just make up an invoice number?  How do I know that
> I'm not using a duplicate?  Do I need to keep track myself?
> Quickbooks just auto increments the last invoice number you created.
> How does this work here?  Is this a good case of my having a "basic
> accounting" vs. "QuickBooks" mindset?

Leave it blank. The invoice number will be created when you email (,
print?) or post.

If you wish to start at a specific number then enter n-1 in System >
Defaults
IE: if this field says "700" then the next invoice you create will be
701.

You can also enter primitive formatting in that System > Defaults
field. IE: if you wanted invoice numbers to be in the format CAS00123
then you would enter "CAS00000" there and the appropriate fixed
letters and leading zeroes will be entered for each invoice.

> Moving on - when I hit Post, it says "Item not on file!" and then
> "What type of item is this, Part or Service" - where does it get this
> from?  I have one service defined, and it is number 1.  But putting a
> 1 in the Item or Number fields in Add Sales Invoice doesn't do
> anything.

Did you click update first?

"Post" actually commits the transaction. Normally you enter all or
part of the part number (in your case "1") & then click update - the
remaining fields (description &c) should then be automagically filled
in. You should ensure that ALL the invoice details are fully correct
before posting.

Note that I have seen similar behaviour when entering past invoices
into SL - if you enter a part and then click save and then create an
invoice in which you change the date on the invoice to last week.
Basically SL considers the part as unavailable _on the date of the
invoice_ - I think the way to deal with this is to enter an
appropriately earlier date in the "updated" field when creating the
part. I'm pretty sure you can also go & edit this field in already
existing parts, so that SL will accept them when entering past invoices.

Finally, double check you have saved the part by looking in Goods &
Services > Reports > All Items. Is it possible you clicked "update"
rather than "save"? I can see this is perhaps confusing terminology.

Yep, that's exactly what I did - clicked Save instead of Update.  As I
tried another example, it worked fine.  I could even print it and
email it!

I'm starting to see the differences in perspective between LSMB and
QB.  It really is a matter of thinking a little differently.  What was
Brian saying about beer helping? (-:

For the moment, I'm a happy camper - thanks for your help!

ConditionedAirSolutions.com
main 256-428-1983, cell 256-426-1485, fax 256-859-5512

=====
Conditioned Air's business is built on people liking our service so
much that they tell their friends and neighbors.  For every new
customer you refer to us, we'll send you a check:

- $10 if they have any service work done
- $20 if they sign up for our home maintenance plan
- $50 if they purchase a new system
=====