Re: total newbie questions

On 2/9/07, John Locke <..hidden..> wrote:
Hi Keith,

Keith Lowe wrote:
> Here's an example:  I can enter a new vendor, and go to A/R-->Add
> Transaction to enter a vendor bill, but then what's next?  The manual
> kind of says use Cash-->Payment or Payments, but I can't figure out
> how that should work.  And after I've entered several bills, I should
> be able to run an A/R  Aging report, but I can't get that to show any
> data - it is just blank.

Are you getting the terms mixed up? I've never used Quickbooks, but the
above statement sounds a little mixed up: Vendors go with A/P, not A/R.
Customers go with AR. You would go to AR to enter a bill for a customer,
or AP to enter a bill you received from a vendor. General sales process
goes like this:

Yep, I typed AP when I meant to type AR.  I tried to follow this, and
here's what happened, step by step.  I'm using version 1.1.7, BTW.

1. Add parts/services (line items for invoices)

Did that, and verified it by Goods & Services-->Reports-->Services -
so far so good.

2. Add Customers

I added a customer, still so far so good.

3. Create sales invoice in AR, and post.

I did this with AR-->Sales Invoice.

I select the customer from the pull down.

Question #1 - do I just make up an invoice number?  How do I know that
I'm not using a duplicate?  Do I need to keep track myself?
Quickbooks just auto increments the last invoice number you created.
How does this work here?  Is this a good case of my having a "basic
accounting" vs. "QuickBooks" mindset?

Moving on - when I hit Post, it says "Item not on file!" and then
"What type of item is this, Part or Service" - where does it get this
from?  I have one service defined, and it is number 1.  But putting a
1 in the Item or Number fields in Add Sales Invoice doesn't do
anything.

Note that I verified above in step 1 that I've got a service defined
and it is #1.

When I hit post, it takes me to the Add Service screen to add another
service, and it is labeled #1 (which it got from my typing 1 when was
trying to create the invoice, and use that service I just defined)

What am I missing here?  I'm not getting the linkage from the Service
I just created, to using it in an invoice.

4. You should now be able to see open invoices by going to
AR->Reports->Transactions, click Continue at the bottom of the page.
This will show all your open invoices. There's also an Outstanding
report (pretty much the same thing) and AR Aging.

5. When your customer pays, go to Cash->Receipt. Click "Update" and you
should get a list of customers with outstanding invoices. Select the one
who has paid, and click Continue. Select the invoice to pay and click
Update, and the amount will be filled in. I then enter a Source number,
usually the check number or transaction number, and click Post.

There are a bunch of shortcuts here: you can search for a specific
customer, you can use Cash -> Receipts (plural) to receive cash from
several customers at once, you can use the POS module to generate the AR
transaction with inventory adjustment and receive payment all at once,
or use a regular AR transaction to accept money without having a line item.

You can also expand the process by doing quotations or sales orders,
which can then get converted to an invoice. The purchasing process is
similar, but with parallel screens for interacting with your vendors
instead of your customers.

Hope that helps,

I really appreciate your help John.  (and I just ordered your book!)

Let me ask something else while I'm here:  about AP

I've added 2 vendors.  I now go to Add AP Transaction, and I select
one vendor from the pull down menu.  Not sure what to put in Invoice
Number, so I just make up "222".  Invoice date is 2/11 and due date is
3/11.  Amount is $100, I select 5610 for Account (using the default
accounts), and click on "Post".

I can go to AP-->Reports-->Transactions and see the invoice I just entered.

According to the help pdf file, I should use Cash-->Payments, and I
find the invoice I entered, enter a check number in Source, and Post.

Now what?  I guess what I'd like to do is to print the check, but I'm
not even sure about that.

Keith

ConditionedAirSolutions.com
main 256-428-1983, cell 256-426-1485, fax 256-859-5512

=====
Conditioned Air's business is built on people liking our service so
much that they tell their friends and neighbors.  For every new
customer you refer to us, we'll send you a check:

- $10 if they have any service work done
- $20 if they sign up for our home maintenance plan
- $50 if they purchase a new system
=====