Re: Can sales orders affect inventory?

On 11/16/06, Stroller <..hidden..> wrote:

On 13 Nov 2006, at 16:28, Chris Travers wrote:

I'm afraid I haven't been quite fully aware of this issue before now
- I have only just gone live with SL this week - but I'm not quite
clear how one can entirely avoid reposting an invoice.

In a week, it is highly unlikely that you will have messed up your
inventory figures in any meaningful way.  The problem usually occurs
with volitile-priced goods and has to do with the way cost is
unallocated when the invoice is reposted.  Note that in a future
version, we probably won't give the ability to repost invoices at all
(instead, one will have to void, convert to credit, etc).  However,
reposting of invoices is *not* recommended under any circumstances due
to accounting concerns.

I create customer invoices by entering SL's AR menu & clicking on
"Sales Invoice". I enter the first half of the customer's name,
"update" and select the customer from a list; I enter the part number
& a quantity and the price & subtotal are automagically filled in; I
email the customer their invoice as a PDF & when the browser returns
to the "Add Sales Invoice" screen I see that an invoice number has
been generated.

It is my understanding, however, that if I now close this window the
invoice will be lost. Is that not the case?

You are correct.

As others have pointed out, the
Cash->Payment/Payments/Receipt/Receipts screens are the places to
enter the payments against invoices.