Re: Pennies

Hi Guys,

For us, all sales documents of any kind contain only whole dollars.  Internal reports ( COGS, P&E, and such), purchasing, etc. should have the accurate cost to the penny.
Thanks
Bob

>>> Erik Huelsmann <..hidden..> 8/9/2015 3:00 AM >>>
Hi Jigme, Bob,

In the Netherlands we haven't had cents (0.01 EUR) in cash payments for a looong time (although some other EUR countries do). So, I'm sympathetic with your question.

However, it does raise some other questions:

1. What happens if you send your invoice to your customers and they pay by wire transfer? Does the 0.01 amount get rounded too? In other words, is this cash related only?
2. Does each line itself get rounded? In the NL, only the actual paid amount gets rounded (by the cashier): the printed "invoice" states the unrounded amount.
3. To prevent cash deficits or surplusses, I would expect the difference between the unrounded amount and the cash-payable amount to be posted somewhere. Do you have a GL account to post these differences to?

Regards,

Erik.