Re: Sketching of Payroll

Ok, everything here is specific to a payroll context.  Income as in
income for the employee, not as in income accounts.

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 6:07 AM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

>    >> You are addressing the question of recurring transactions, not the
>    >> question of what the difference between salaried and hourly.
>
>    Chris> It may be different in Canada but in the US, there are
>    Chris> extensive rules
>    Chris> about when salaried workers must legally get OT.
>
> That's not the point, in fact, it makes the point for there being no
> difference even stronger.   If only hourly workers were implemented,
> and a recurring transaction could be configured which always filled in
> "40", wouldn't that solve the problem of salaried people?  If they have
> to get OT, then you write "55", or you fill in row two, where it says,
> "wage*1.5" with "15"

Not really.

First, you are unlikely to enter hours or anything like that for a
salaried employee.  A salaried employee might work less than 40 hrs
but still get paid the same.  Moreover the workflow is likely to be
significantly different when entering and reviewing salaried
paychecks, whether OT is included or not.

>    Chris> The idea of tracking employees in payroll groups where they all have
>    Chris> the same pay types.....
>
> okay, so this is really what it's about.
> Not salaried vs hourly, but rather, "employees with rule X" and
> "employees with rule Y" (and X might include "wage is $27/hr", OT is
> "$39/hr after 40hr/week", while Y is "wage is $92/hr, no OT")

I don't think we can generalize to that level, esp. when adding things
like pay for production which hourly workers might also qualify for
(in the US it isn't uncommon for agricultural workers to do some
hourly work and some work that is paid per unit of production).

>    Chris> So
>    Chris> does salary/OT make sense as an income class?
>
> huh?
> I thought an income class was something like "money received by selling
> products" vs "money received by selling consulting"...?

Income class in this case being class of payroll income for the
worker's paycheck.  This is separate from payroll deductions.

The idea is that people get income either by salary, by hourly work,
or by unit of production (the latter mostly in agriculture).  Hourly
workers can earn production-based work too, but I don't think salaried
workers could.  Note that withholding requirements can be different
for the various types.....