Re: Sketching of Payroll

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Michael Richardson <..hidden..> wrote:

>    Chris> I:  Setting up employees:
>    Chris> * Add wage and base class fields (hourly vs salary).
>
> What, in practice does it mean between hourly and salary?
> To me, salary has always meant that one is paid 37.5 (or whatever) hours
> per week, regardless of how many hours you actually did. (that stuff is
> not of concern to accounting).

I don't know how it is everywhere but in Washington State, a salaried
employee can fall under one of two categories:  exempt and non-exempt.

Exempt employees never get overtime.  They can be brought in to work
80 hours one week and may be given comp time or not.  That's up to the
employer and employee.  Non-exempt salaried employees end up getting
paid overtime for weeks where they work more than 40 hours/week.

This being said, I have never seen a non-exempt salaried position
advertised anywhere, but I figure we need to allow for the
possibility.

>    Chris> II:  Entering wages
>    Chris> * For salary:
>    Chris> * Standard amount displayed
>    Chris> * Enter unpaid time off in days
>    Chris> * Enter paid time off in days
>    Chris> * One row per employee for bulk entry
>
>    Chris> * For hourly:
>    Chris> * Per day:  standard hours, overtime hours, paid timeoff hours, etc
>    Chris> * Three rows per employee
>    Chris> * For Chord
>    Chris> * One row per employee, one field per chort class.
>    Chris> * Report is saved but not posted to GL
>
> So, really the difference is some organizations want to track unpaid
> time off and paid time off in the accounting system.
> Some "salaried" employees get overtime too!

It is rare for a salaried employee to get OT but is a possibility
depending on the type of position, pay rate, etc.

http://www.lni.wa.gov/WorkplaceRights/Wages/Overtime/Exemptions/Management/default.asp

>    Chris> III:  Approval
>    Chris> * Pull up report
>    Chris> * Shows entered information and GL effects.
>    Chris> * review, approve.  It posts to GL.  Click "print checks" and it prints
>    Chris> checks
>
> IV. year end summaries.
>
> I suggest that each withholding requires a liability account.
> Provide a form that is basically balance sheet, but only shows accounts
> which have been marked as being withholding.  Then, for each account,
> sum it per employee (for the period involved).

A withholding might be.  However, payroll transactions also involve
expenses, so I think a GL format is more likely to be helpful (Assets,
then liabilities, then expenses).