Re: FW: Help Desk and Ledgersmb

Paul Wrightson wrote:

Wow - Enterprise Service Bus via IRC!

Hey, if it's good enough to control a botnet with a hundred thousand hosts,
it's good enough for a 10-person company. :-)

What is the overhead of supporting the IRC and robots?

What do you mean by "overhead"?  If you mean CPU or network overhead,
it's unnoticeable.  If you mean programming overhead, very small.  Our
bots are tiny little scripts.  For example, I have a 734-line Tcl app
showing me the state of phone lines and extensions.  The plugin to
open the SugarCRM page consists of 31 lines of Tcl, of which only 18
are actual code (the rest being comments or blank lines.)

Did you consider MQ or similar?

Nope.  IRC was by far the easiest.  And we'd never consider a
closed-source solution.

Regards,

David.