Re: Proposal for 1.4: CoA structure redesign

On 10/30/07, Ed W <..hidden..> wrote:
> Hi
>
> > It seems to me exchange rate is more a property of a single
> > transaction rather than a property of a single date.  Of course
> > exchange rates should still be retrieved from a central authority, but
> > it must be possible to deviate from them on a per transaction basis.
>

> Accountants don't tend to do it that way.  The idea is that you have a
> theoretical rate in effect on a given transaction, then if your actual
> rate beats that then you have an FX gain (or loss if not).

hmmm....  I tend to think of FX gain and loss as what happens over
time when you have accounts in different currencies.

This may be splitting hairs but I would say you have a theoretical buy
or sell rate plus fees associated with that transaction to the
financial services businesses.

For example, suppose I go to Canada and use my credit card to purchase
something for $100.  Suppose (not unrealistic at the moment) that the
exchange rate for this transaction is 1:1 but that my credit card bank
charges a 1% exchange fee.

The actual transaction looks like
$100 as the expense
$1 for the bank fee.

My total paid is $101, but I know where my money is going.

I can imagine some businesses (particularly forex trading houses)
which might need to tie to transaction, but they probably aren't using
LedgerSMB.

> (so if you transfer out of
> your Paypal account at the atrocious rate then this shows as a profit on
> the original transaction, plus an fx loss due to Paypal)

I think the key is to separate bank fees from forex issues.  This area
could use a great deal of work on automating, but is more complex than
simple forex issues.  The Paypal difference isn't really a forex loss.
 It is actually a Paypal service charge.

> However, the UI is probably missing for all this right now and certainly
> in SL you just have to figure out all the bits yourself and type them in
> as a GL entry...

I think we need to be looking at how to automate this.  I am thinking
of having the additional fees go into selected expense accounts, and
allow for essentially a linear mapping of charges (y=mx + b).

Maybe something like:
CREATE TABLE forex_fee (
     asset_account_id int references account(id) not null unique,
     expense_account_id int references account(id) not null,
     coefficent numeric not null default 0,
     fixed_cost numeric not null default 0,
     CHECK(coefficient < 1 AND coefficent > 0)
);

Fees would then be calculated as:
coeficient * amount + fixed_cost.

> > Also, a question from the user interface point of view: When I deposit
> > a USD cheque into a CAD account, I will know from my deposit
> > adjustment the exact CAD amount for that deposit.  Currently with
> > 1.2.x I have to manually calculate the effective exchange rate when
> > entering the deposit because there is no way to say "I deposited
> > $100USD which resulted in $96 CAD".
> >

> Again, the idea is that you deposited $100, which became $98CAD, less
> the bank skimmed you $2, which is your FX loss

A second option might be to allow you to enter in the amounts on both
sides of the transaction and automatically calculate the service
charge.

> The only thing missing really is a new data entry screen to put this lot
> in.  The rest is just a case of ledger entries...

In general agreed.  It would also be nice to include an ability to
automate some of the charges to the best extent possible.