Re: Proposal for 1.4: CoA structure redesign

On 10/19/07, Chris Travers <..hidden..> wrote:
> On 10/19/07, Grant Likely <..hidden..> wrote:
>
> > How does this work as the exchange rates change over time?
>
> There is a separate exchangerate table.  Not quite sure how this will
> change yet.  Probably will require some sort of general import of
> exchangerates from a central authority on a daily basis (manual entry
> poses a few problems at the moment).
>
> We may also want to add an fx_fee table associated with accounts.  For
> example, some institutions charge an additional fee, so the fx_rate
> appears to be different for some accounts.  This could be used to
> calculate bank fees and the like based on handling foreign currency.

How about taking into account how different institutions calculate the
exch rate?  There will always be slight variations between
institutions (especially between different countries) on what the
exchange rate was calculated to be on any given day.

It seems to me exchange rate is more a property of a single
transaction rather than a property of a single date.  Of course
exchange rates should still be retrieved from a central authority, but
it must be possible to deviate from them on a per transaction basis.

Also, a question from the user interface point of view: When I deposit
a USD cheque into a CAD account, I will know from my deposit
adjustment the exact CAD amount for that deposit.  Currently with
1.2.x I have to manually calculate the effective exchange rate when
entering the deposit because there is no way to say "I deposited
$100USD which resulted in $96 CAD".

Finally, I'm still confused about the handling of foreign currency in
asset/liability account (from the question below).  Am I off base in
my understanding of foreign currency handling?

Cheers,
g.